What to do if 2 nights ago I was backing up in a dark parking lot and when I turned I dented and scratched the car beside me so I left a note?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if 2 nights ago I was backing up in a dark parking lot and when I turned I dented and scratched the car beside me so I left a note?

The note gave an explanation, my name and my phone number. The girl contacted me later the next day and said that she was fine with leaving insurance out and doing cash. I asked her to get some estimates and let me know. She told me she had 2 estimates done and was on her way to the 3rd. Turns out she lied and has only gotten one but she says it doesn’t matter because her parents want it done there or the dealership. I don’t deal with liars. There is no police report, no claim on insurance, and she does not have my policy or driver’s license. I’m not asking morally but legally can I make her fend for herself?

Asked on July 1, 2015 under Accident Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you can't make her fend for herself because you are liable for the damage to her car.  

It would be advisable for her to file a property damage claim with your auto insurance company and let your insurance company handle the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption