How can I bring up a discrimination charge against my supervisor?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I bring up a discrimination charge against my supervisor?

I work in a machine shop where I make thermocouples. My foreman constantly messes with me and it feels like I’m singled out. If I get sick at work, I have to jump through hoops to go home. However, my co-workers have no obstacles when needing to leave for any reason. While my co-workers also get called their name or nickname they wish to use. yet, I get called my actual name and am the only person who gets this treatment as well. I’m the only one who has to bring in a doctor’s note, plus any other proof for my absenses. It even comes down to him making a food run in the mornings. He goes to out and grabs coffee and sandwiches for everyone but me.

Asked on November 10, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that not all employees need be treated the same. Some workers can be treated less favorably than others. This is true unless such treatment constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination. That is it is based on a worker's race, religion, age (over 40), disability or the like; in that case it would be illegal. Also, such action must not violate the terms of any exisiting employment contract or union agreement. Bottom line, while your foreman's actions/words or unprofessional, they are unfortunately permissable under the law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption