how to get back lost wages

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how to get back lost wages

i live in flint mi and i work 40 hours a week at 10 an hour at the end of the
week i get a check maxed out at 40 hours and the rest of my check is given to me
in cash at 9 an hour what can i do about this

Asked on July 12, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have two options:
1) You can contact the state's deparment of labor, which enforces the wage and hour laws, to file a complaint; they may be able to help you recover the money.
2) Or you can sue the employer for the money they should have paid you, based on your hourly rate and hours worked, but did not.
You are entitled to be paid the agreed upon wage for all hours worked, and overtime when you work more than 40 hours in a week; as discussed, you have legal mechanisms to recover the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption