What are my legal options if my father cashed in my custodial account for his own use?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal options if my father cashed in my custodial account for his own use?

I am 19 years old. My father recently cashed in a custodial account ($5,953.66), which was set up for me by my grandmother as custodian. He then deposited the proceeds to a joint account he shares with her. My grandmother has senile dementia and is not at all competent to have acted on her own. I am certain it was never her intention to deprive me of the funds. My father has been spending the money on himself. Since I turned 18 (14 months ago), my father has been urged by my mother to convert the account to my name, or cash it in and send me the money.

Asked on August 18, 2011 New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could sue your father for conversion.  Conversion is an intentional assumption of dominion and control over the personal property of another (your  account) resulting in a substantial interference with your possessory rights without consent and without legal privilege.

Conversion occurred when your father intentionally took the funds from the custodial account.  The wrongful acquisition of the funds by your father is conversion.

Your damages (the amount you are seeking to recover in your lawsuit for conversion) would be the amount that was in the account.  If that account was earning interest, you could also seek to recover interest that was lost due to your father's conversion.

Another remedy to consider in your lawsuit would be a constructive trust against your father.  A constructive trust means that your father is to return the funds to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption