What are your rights if you areterminated for cause but there is no proof ofwrong-doing?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are your rights if you areterminated for cause but there is no proof ofwrong-doing?

My step-mother (management in a food and service section of the Phoenix airport) was informed that there was video documentation that proved without any shadow of a doubt that she’s allowed her daughter (employed by the same company) to watch over a large sum of money in a gross violation of their cash handling policy. Knowing that she had never done this ever in her time there my step-mother asked to review this evidence and was denied. In this situation, what legal recourse can she take against her (now former) employers?

Asked on October 28, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I'm afraid that she has no legal recourse here for wrongful termination.  The reason is that most employment arrangements are what is known as "at will". This means that you can choose to work for an employer or not and an employer can hire or fire you for any reason or no reason.  While seemingly unfair it's the law.

Exceptions to the above would be if this action was not allowed due to the terms of an employment contract, union agreement, or company policy.  Also, discrimination must not have played a role in her termination.  Absent any of these circumstance her firing was lawful.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption