Terminated ‘At Will’ Do I Qualify For Unemployment?

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Terminated ‘At Will’ Do I Qualify For Unemployment?

I was recently been terminated from my job without prior notice, and with the reason being

Asked on March 28, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you were terminated "at will," or simply because your employer wanted to terminate you, you are entitled to unemployments. You are only not entitled to them if 1) you quit or resign; or 2) you were fired "for cause." A for cause firing is for doing something fairly serious and obviously wrong, like being insubordinate, not following company policy or manager instructions, stealing or committing some other crime at work, being drunk or on drugs at work, excessive absences or latenesses, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption