teacher/students sexual misconduct

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

teacher/students sexual misconduct

I work in a school for students with behavioral problems. i was told by one of my colleagues who is 30 that she has begun engaging in a romantic relationship with an 18 year old. He will be graduating in two weeks. Am I liable if I do not share what I know with administrators?

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Although I am not 100% clear on MA laws from what I know the legal age is 18 so she may not be breaking any laws. As for the internal regulations that you would know better than I would as for the appropriate behavior at the school

If you are concerned with your own liability consult a local criminal defense attorney who can probably advise you in a very brief phone conversation as to what if anything you are legally obligated to do. Other than that it is totally in your hands as to how to proceed at your school. I also would not know the repercussions if any of not disclosing and school policy. That you need to figure out and proceed as required

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption