What to do if am currently pregnant and my sons father is already threatening to take him from me claiming he is the better parent?

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if am currently pregnant and my sons father is already threatening to take him from me claiming he is the better parent?

I am 21; he is in his 50’s. He hasn’t had a job his whole life he was selling and doing drugs but claims he hasn’t been. Since I don’t have my own place or my own car and he does he thinks they will give him custody. But before I found out thati I was pregnant we were both doing drugs. I am not going to lie but I stopped and he didn’t. It got to the point when I was almost 5 months pregnant that I left for the day because he had been high for days and he shot a gun inside of our home. The cops were called but he had a CCW so they let him go. Can he take my son?

Asked on November 30, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The problem here is you both have a history of drug use. He will probably not be eligible to have the child based on his history, which should be easily proved but the goal here is to protect your child. Your issues with your child will be based on whether the hospital will call child protective services regarding your drug use. Have a frank discussion with your doctor, try to get enrolled in school (online or otherwise), reach out to family members who can help you so in case this person tries to make trouble for your child and for you, you have support systems to back you up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption