Stay at home mom finds husband having affair

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Stay at home mom finds husband having affair

Help. Ive just uncovered my husband has been
having an affair for 4 months. I have been a stay at
home mom for 19 years and am about to return to
work in one week. Will this work against me
financially in divorce??

Asked on November 27, 2017 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry.  So I assume that you mean how returning for work affects how alimony is awarded in Georgia?  Georgia has only two tyoes of aliminy: rehabilitative and permanent.  Permanent is increasingly rare.  Rehabilitative can, for example, given to help a spouse that has been out of the work force for years to aquire skills to return. You are in a long term marriage.  That counts here.  And assumedly you are returning to the work force in a lesser position than you would have if you had remained in a career through the marriage.  Correct?  Or just to be out of the house now that the kids are older? So it may not hurt like you think.  Have a consultation with an attorney asap.  Call you local bar association for a referral.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption