How can I get information regarding my father’s house if late it is in a Trust?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get information regarding my father’s house if late it is in a Trust?

My dad owned a house that I lived in. I decided to move and it was put up for sale. It then went into escrow but my dad passed away right before the closing. The house is in his trust saying that all proceeds from the house be split evenly between all siblings. My sister is the trustee and she sent an email saying,

Asked on August 21, 2018 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  It is difficule to try and explain what your sister means out of context and without knowing more.  It is best for you to take all the information given to an attorney in your area to review.  It seems that your Dad's house was not in a Trust but maybe the Will created one upon his death?  It is not clear.  All that seems to mean is that there are tax issues because the way the house was titled at his death (not in the trust).  You are entitled to an accounting by the Executor/Personal Representative and by the Trustee.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption