What are my rights if my new alterator failed whilw I was traveling away from home?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my new alterator failed whilw I was traveling away from home?

Repair shop replaced the alternator in my car. It came with a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty. Alternator died 500 miles from home. Bought new one and replaced it. Showed receipts to owner of business that replaced original one. He refuses to do anything because I didn’t bring the car to him before replacing the alternator. I was 500 miles from home which you can clearly see from the receipt for the new alternator. Is there anything I can do? I want to take him to small claims just on principle alone.

Asked on October 18, 2012 under General Practice, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the new alternator that was placed on your vehicle failed far from where you reside and it cae with a one (1) years twelve (12) thoudand mile warranty and it was under warranty when the car broke down, then the repair shop is responsible for the costs of a new alternator regardless of the fact that you did not bring it to the repair facility.

It makes no sense to tow a car 500 miles for the warranty to be honored. I would write the owner of the repair facilty a note demanding payment by a certain date. If you do not receive it by a certain date, then your option seems to be small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption