Someone totaled my parked car while having a seizure

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Aspen Hill, MD

Asked on 01/15/2014

Someone totaled my parked car while having a seizure Hello,A man hit my parked car while he was having a seizure. He totaled it. He also was driving a rental car at the time, the rental car insurance company is trying not to pay even though he is a documented epileptic, they are claiming that he did not reveal this to them so they are not liable, is this true???? I mean he totaled a parked car! Someone else other than myself should have to pay.

Answer given on February 06, 2014

If someone is using a rental car, and does not reveal medical issues that could affect their driving, the rental car company may deny coverage for damages caused. If the driver has insurance on an owned vehicle, you can file a claim against him through that insurance. Insurance follows the car, but if the coverage is denied, or not available, you may be able to collect from the driver’s policy.If these do not move forward smoothly, you can file a claim through your insurance company. They will pay the actual cash value of your car, less your deductible. They will then try to collect from the other parties through subrogation. If they are successful, your deductible will be reimbursed.The only payment you will receive from any insurance company is the actual cash value of your car. While you can negotiate the value with whatever insurance company is involved, it may not be a figure you feel is sufficient.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption