What to do if I bought an SUV and the dealership said that nothing was wrong but there was?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I bought an SUV and the dealership said that nothing was wrong but there was?

They said that it had been inspected. Not even 2 weeks later the service engine light came on then a couple days later it went off again. It just came back on and I took it to a mechanic. He said that there was a problem with the engine that didn’t just occur. He said that if someone had truly inspected the car before I bought it that they would’ve caught this problem. I briefly reviewed the Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices laws and the Lemon laws in my state and to my understanding my situation is covered by those laws. Am I wrong in thinking that? And if my situation is covered by one of those laws what do I need to do next? Is there a way to return the car or get some of my money back?

Asked on October 18, 2012 under General Practice, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country the seller of an item is required to disclose all matters known to him or her that affects desirability or price paid to all potential buyers before the sale. Failure to do so is concealment, a form of fraud.

If you can prove through the expert opinions of your mechanic that the seller knew that there were problems with the vehicle sold you which were not disclosed, you would be able to have a court of law order the sale cancelled if you no longer want the vehicle. I suggest that you consult with a consumer law attorney to assist you in this matter and how you wish to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption