Is it legal to charge additonal secuirty fee to match your current rent?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to charge additonal secuirty fee to match your current rent?

I have resided in the same apartment for 32 years. They are now saying I am to pay them addtioonal money to match my current rent. THere has been new landlords but I have never received any notification. I sent a check in eror and they cashed it saying it was for additional secuirty. I have not only lost that money but have been charge with additoinal overdraft fees. What should I do?

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


John Ducey / Law Offices of John G. Ducey,PC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Have you signed a new lease?  How is the rent increasing without a new lease?  Too tough to answer this on just these facts.


John Ducey

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption