Reimbursement from cruise company for unused insurance premium

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Reimbursement from cruise company for unused insurance premium

New Link Destination
ok a and land sea trip with Vantage
cruise co. At the end of land trip,
Vantage canceled our river portion due
to engine problems. We are negotiating
with them on reimbursement. We have
settled settled except for prorated
reimbursement of our travel insurance of
1900.00. They say travel insurance is
non-refundable and could possibly be
illegal. They are not affiliated with
insurance carrier. New Link Destination
us, they cancelled
the cruise and we should reimbursed for
the unused portion 1900.00. Mike

Asked on October 21, 2019 under Insurance Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Travel insurance is not illegal. If the cruise company breached its contract (the agreement with you as to what it would provide) and that breach caused you to lose money, you could sue them for that. The problem is, how do you prove that them cancelling the river portion caused you to lose money in this case? You voluntarily paid for the insurance; you would have to be able to prove in court by a preponderance of the evidence that their cancellation directly caused you to lose a portion of the value which, given the limitations on travel insurance and when it pays out, is likely to be difficult to do. How. can you prove that you absolutely (not hypothetically] lost some sum of money due from what you paid for the insurance due to the cancellation? If you can't do that, you can't recover it from the cruise company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption