What to do about modifying a child visitation plan?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about modifying a child visitation plan?

My child and my stepchild are on opposite weekend schedules and neither parent will budge. Is there something I can do so they are able to spend weekends together?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Family Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Hummm.  You, of course, have no control over the issue with your spouse and their ex spouse which controls your step child.  But you do have the ability to control your situation by requesting that the court modify the agreement originally entered in to.  Do they have to modify as per your request?  No.  But will they?  Maybe, depending on how you present it to them.  If you and your new spouse are trying to become a family then that is a huge consideration for the court in modifying the order.  You want to help the children nurture a sibling relationship as I am sure that there will be family vacations and events down the road that both of them will attend, etc.  I would speak with an attorney in the field to see how they think this reasoning will fair in a modification request.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption