Can a parent remove a child with a pre-existing disease from their medical insurance before the age of 26?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a parent remove a child with a pre-existing disease from their medical insurance before the age of 26?

My girlfriend is currently having issues with her
bio-logical dad and step-mother. The step-
mother has told the daughter that she will be
removed from her insurance at time of her
college graduation. Thats less than 2 months
away. She is of the age of 22 and is a type 1
diabetic.the state of Tn says a child wont be
removed till age of 26. Can they legally remove
her that early?

Asked on October 21, 2019 under Insurance Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can be removed before the age of 26. Just because a child can stay on her parent's health insurance until age 26 does not mean that her parents are obligated to keep her on their insurance or pay for her. She is legally an adult; parents are not required to provide insurance for adult children.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption