Psychologist Malpractice

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Psychologist Malpractice

A Psychologist was hired to perform a
‘Custodial Evaluation’. He never
disclosed that he and the other party
shared relatives. Is this malpractice?

Asked on August 21, 2017 under Malpractice Law, Idaho


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It may not be "malpractice," which refers to the provision of medical care which does not meet currently accepted standards (i.e. he could have performed a perfectly well-done analysis or evaluation), but it is very likely an ethical breach for his failure to disclose what could affect his objectivity (i.e. its something that could be the basis of a complaint to the licensing board) and may be something that could be used to "impeach," or discredit, his results and testimony in a hearing or trial by pointing out the potential for bias and conflict of interest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption