Can a doctor legally take you off medication and discharge you without safely taking you down and off?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a doctor legally take you off medication and discharge you without safely taking you down and off?

I was discharged for a simple mistake from my family doctor while on heavy pain medication and anxiety medication which you are not to abruptly stop without being weeined off safely. Now I’m having to cut my meds in half to make them last as long as possible but I’m about out and just one of the

withdrawal symptoms include death and seizures which I’m trying to avoid. I called several doctor and mom that can see me before I run out of meds and I don’t know what to do.

Asked on August 22, 2017 under Malpractice Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

While a doctor should not do this, there is nothing you can legally do unless  and until you actually do suffer some significant harm, beyond just temporary pain or distress; the law does not provide any recourse for what *could* happen, only for what *does* happen. If, as we hope, it all turns out ok for you, you will not have any legal claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption