Paying back alimony

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Paying back alimony

I owe 37,000 in back pay I don’t have a
job because my license have been
suspended how can I reinstate my
driver’s license and be able to
negotiate the amount of this alimony

Asked on February 7, 2018 under Family Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You will need to have a hearing before the judge who presided over your divorce in order to attempt to have your driver's license reinstated.
You can file a declaration signed under penalty of perjury.  The declaration should provide evidence that you have applied at various jobs which require reliable transportation and were not hired.  You will need to have reliable transportation to and from the job and will need a job to start paying the balance that is in arrears for spousal support. 
Although it is not possible to predict how a judge will rule in any case, you can try to persuade the judge with the above arguments. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption