Paid time off changed after 1 year employment

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Paid time off changed after 1 year employment

my employer offered me a job and gave me 23 days of paid time off to start. they were given at the beginning of the year to use. This year they changed that to a different system where I would earn so many hours a week and have shortened my time by 3 days, to where I only have 20 days I can earn because of my length of employment. I won’t reach 23 days paid time off until I am here for 5 years. they did this because they merged with another company. Can they do that?

Asked on January 27, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

An employer is free to change its company policy. A worker's protection is only under a union agreement/employment contract that is to the contrary. So if you have one, that addresses your PTO, then you may have recourse, otherwise I'm afraid that you will lose some of your time. The fact is that absent actionable discrimination, in an "at will" work setting, a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. For your part you can either accept the new policy, complain but risk termination, or quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption