If I’m making out my Will, can I leave my house to my son or do I need to get his name put on the deed somehow?

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m making out my Will, can I leave my house to my son or do I need to get his name put on the deed somehow?

It is titled in my name only and paid in full.

Asked on October 29, 2013 under Estate Planning, Indiana


Maura McCaughey / Pirozzi Koler~LLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you want your son to have your house after your death, you can do a Transfer on Death (TOD) Designation Affidavit that states that upon your death, your property will tranfser to your son. It is an easier way to transfer property because the house will transfer outside of probate.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption