What are a tenant’s rights if their Landlord does not reply to request for permission to put up a sign?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are a tenant’s rights if their Landlord does not reply to request for permission to put up a sign?

We want to put up a sign for my business, and the lease says that requires the landlord’s permission. The landlord has not replied to our new sign application after a year, does this violate the contract? Can I put up the sign anyway? Can I break the lease? Is there any legal action we can take? We sent and ask the request more than 7 times to the owner for approval yet they did not say yes or not. We still waiting.

Asked on July 16, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You have been more than patient with this matter.  But you really need someone to read the lease and understand the law in your area and see if this can be classified as unreasonably withholding consent and a violation of the lease in allowing you to advertise your business.  Breaking the lease without consulting an attorney is not a good idea at all.  You can be held libel for extensive damages under a commercial lease if that is what you have and it is fairly standard.  An attorney will be able to let you know what our options are and sometimes just an "official" letter may prompt your landlord to action after all.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption