What happens when a creditor places a lien on your home?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens when a creditor places a lien on your home?

We owe an outstanding balance on a credit card, we just received a letter from the attorney representing the credit card company. It says that they put a lien on our house. What can happen with this? We don’t have the money to pay the bill. What steps if any should we consider now?

Asked on February 22, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There seems to be a step that is missing here.  Were you already sued by a credit card and was there a judgement issued or is the attorney's office threatening to sue and place a line on the house?  Did you know that you were sued?  Were you served with papers?  If you were not properly served with the papers for the suit then they obtained what is known as a default judgement against you. You can make a motion to vacate the default if you are able to prove that you were not properly served and you have what is known as a meritorious defense. What else you can do really depends on what your circumstance are. Maybe you should consider consulting with a debt counselor or an attorney.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption