Does a land contract cause taxes to be reassessed?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a land contract cause taxes to be reassessed?

We purchased half a condo through a land contract. We own other half. Taxes on owned half are much less than other half. Seller took a year to file paperwork to register sale. Should the taxes be reassessed? If they are, and should have been a year ago, are we responsible for the difference?

Asked on July 16, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

A land contract with improvements can cause taxes to be reassessed, for better or worse.  The issue now is why did the seller take one year to register sale? An argument could be made that year's taxes should be paid by the seller.  If the escrow company and the agents involved in the sale did not ensure the entirety of the sale was completed, an argument could be made they should share in the costs.  Contact your local tax assessor's office and read up on the methodology to reassess and appeal any appraisals made on the properties. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption