What can I do about traffic tickets that are not mine but have been issued with my name on them?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about traffic tickets that are not mine but have been issued with my name on them?

I have 2 old traffic citations on my record in MD. I have never held a MD driver’s license. MD assigned me a number and suspended/revoked my driving privileges. These 2 old tickets are not mine. They have my name and date of birth but cannot produce a ticket or a fingerprint card or any hard evidence that it’s me they are looking for. 1 is for DUI and the other is for driving on suspended. what can I do

Asked on September 14, 2011 under General Practice, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have been assessed two (2) traffic tickets from Maryland that you just found out which are not yours, you need to contact the court clerk about the situation to ascertain what can be done in that the situation seems to be a case of mistaken identity or identity theft.

You need to ascertain the status of these old citations as well. Meaning, have they been concluded where a sentence and fines have been imposed or are there any outstanding warrants for failure to appear at any court proceedings concerning them? You should also get a copy of the actual citiations, complaints and police reports forming the foundation of the citations.

Most likely you will have to retain a criminal defense attorney to sort things out and resolve the situation.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption