What to do if amoving company lied and put a different cost on the sheet after I signed?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if amoving company lied and put a different cost on the sheet after I signed?

When I was filling out the paper work, I noticed inconsistencies with what I was told. I explained to them that I would not agree to that and asked them to unload my things. After much going back and forth, the drive said that I could pay everything on my credit card that night. I felt comfortable with going that route because everything would be upfront. Once they had everything loaded, he explained that the costs were more than the quote. He told me $1900. I said that was fine, and that I would pay it right then. He told me to pay it later, left, and wrote in $2,600 after.

Asked on September 13, 2011 under General Practice, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you don't need to pay more than the mutually agreed upon amount; one party to a contract cannot unilaterally change it, or increase the amount owed by the other party. If you don't pay the additional mount, the moving company would be able to try to sue you for it (it's not clear that they will, but they have the option of doing so); at that point, you'll have the option of defending yourself, but presenting testimony and other evidence showing that the amount agreed to was the $1,900, not the $2,600. Who would win, if it goes to trial, will depend on the balance of evidence, testimony, and credibility. If they try to sue you, you could also go on the offensive--speak with an attorney about whether you can bring a claim against them for consumer fraud; possible contact the police and seek to press charges for fraud; etc. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption