What to do if someone drove my uninsured car without my permission and had a car accident?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if someone drove my uninsured car without my permission and had a car accident?

About a year ago my car broken down on the side of a highway in FL. It would’ve cost more money to fix then what the car was worth, so I left it there and took a bus to TX where I met my grandparents and we went to live in NM. Without my knowledge, my mother’s boyfriend picked up the car. I was angry at first, but let it go and told no one to drive the car. He drove it and wrecked it. The accident was not his fault but because there was no insurance on the car, it was automatically my fault. How do I get out of being sued for this?

Asked on August 21, 2011 California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to seek legal help as soon as you possibly can.  Please do not let your Mother's boyfriend off the hook like this.  He is a part of the problem and needs to be part of the solution.  Now, I think that you know that you should not have left the car on the side of the road.  It is illegal to abandon cars like that.  The next problem is that when he took it you did nothing - like report that he stole it - so even though you say that you told him not to drive it it looks like you let him.  The questions you will be asked are how did he know where the car was?  Where did he get the keys?  All questions that lead to the hopeful conclusion that you knew and gave him permission.  You need a lawyer.  You need to sue your Mother's boyfriend in a 3rd party action within the case that you are being sued.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption