Can I consider my tenants property abandoned?

UPDATED: May 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I consider my tenants property abandoned?

I an a landlord and my tenants have not paid this months rent. They texted us they were moving out and told us he was going to be here on a certain date and never showed up to get his stud. He had ben telling other companies he would be back for months now and also his mail is stopped cause cause he has no address.

Asked on May 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maine


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are asking if you can go in to the apartment and clear it out I would not unless he stops paying rent and surrenders the keys or you have an order of eviction allowing you possession (and then I would get the Sheriff involved with getting the stuff out).  It just protects you.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption