How can a creditor get a judgment by default for failure to plead if I have been making payments?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can a creditor get a judgment by default for failure to plead if I have been making payments?

I received a letter months ago that I was being sued by a creditor. I contacted them directly and have been making monthy payment. I just received a letter that states entry of judgment by default for failure to plead. How can I take care of this? Do they even have a right to do this if I have been making payment?

Asked on August 19, 2011 Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it appears that a default was taken against you by the creditor in a court proceeding. A default occurs when one is served with a summons and complaint and the person served fails to "answer" with a filed pleading served on the other side and filed with the court.

The creditor has a right to take your default if you did not answer the complaint and summons served upon you in a timely fashion. I question why no notice was given to you by the attorney for the creditor of the need for you to answer the summons and complaint. Usually courtesy dictates a warning before a default is taken.

You need to file a motion to set aside the default as soon as possible. If not, you might be barred from proceeding in defending the action. You should consult with an attorney about you situation as soon as possible.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption