What to do about damaged caused to my vehicle by a towing company’s negligence?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about damaged caused to my vehicle by a towing company’s negligence?

A towing company drug my car 50 feet or more backwards, while in park. My insurance company wouldn’t even talk about it. I filed a claim against the towing services insurance. They have agreed to messing up my front bumper up an sent me a check. However, since the incident my transmission is going out and I had no problems with it before. They just want to run over me. What can I do? Should I contact a lawyer?

Asked on June 19, 2016 under Accident Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you have not accepted the check for the bumper and have not signed a release of your claim, pursue your claim for the transmission damage with the insurance company.
If the insurance company won't pay for the transmission damage or if you are dissatisfied with their settlement offer, reject the settlement offer and file a lawsuit for negligence against the towing company.
Depending on the amount you are seeking in your lawsuit, you may be able to file your case in small claims court.
If you file in a court other than small claims, you may want to be represented by an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption