What to do if my wife’s sister died 5 months ago and we have received checks for her but the banks won’t cash them?

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my wife’s sister died 5 months ago and we have received checks for her but the banks won’t cash them?

The checks are in her name, to her estate, or her name and marked deceased. The total of the checks is around $500 that were deposits on her apartment and on is a credit card over payment. My wife and her sister had a joint banking account totaling $930 which $700 of it was used for cemetery expense. Other than that there is no more cash and nothing tangible of value left; my sister-in-law gave her stuff like a bed and table away.

Asked on April 18, 2013 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Depost those checks via an ATM in the account of your wife and sister, putting on the back for deposit only and signing your name, in a bank branch other than the one you are using. The checks may clear. If not then send the checks back to the sender and ask them to issue them to the both of you, then deposit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption