What to do if my mother is set to receive an inheritance from her parents’ Will but would rather that is pass directly to her children?

UPDATED: Apr 17, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 17, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mother is set to receive an inheritance from her parents’ Will but would rather that is pass directly to her children?

Her mother is passed and my grandpa is dying. We were told that we should handle this as soon as possible, by my aunt, who has Power of Attorney. My mother has decided that she would like for her 4 children (myself included) to receive whatever her portion will be, without ever having it herself. She wants to sign and get something notarized that will pass her inheritance to her children, before it is given to her. We need to know if this is a possibility, and how we might write a document that would do this?

Asked on April 17, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You are advised to seek the assistance of an estate planning attorney to prepare the legal document concerning the transfer of the potential inheritance to her children. The document is a form of declination, and must be drafted carefully especially if she is receiving some form of government assistance so she doesn't lose that stream of assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption