What is the correct way to proceed if my brother passed without having any arrangements made?

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the correct way to proceed if my brother passed without having any arrangements made?

We have uncovered documents that suggest he had quite a large amount of creditors. Additionally,during his divorce, he and his ex-wife split the 2 homes they owned and he has the deed naming him as sole owner. However, there appears to be an outstanding mortgage on which her name is still listed. We have gotten info from the county on starting probate proceedings.

Asked on April 18, 2013 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the estate is basically bankrupt, then there is nothing to do; look at the values of the deceased's estate versus the mortgage and other bills, and weigh whether you want to proceed with a probate; the bank will take back the proerty if the mortgage is not paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption