If my wife has recently decided to leave me after 8 years of marriage, could we still be eligible for an annulment?

UPDATED: May 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife has recently decided to leave me after 8 years of marriage, could we still be eligible for an annulment?

Prior to our marriage, she realized that she did not love me but went ahead with the marriage anyway. I did not realize what she’d done until some years later. I would not have married her if I had known. She now cites the fact that she never loved me as the reason she’s leaving, so it is pertinent. Does the fact that she withheld this information constitute “fraud,” thus making us eligible for an annulment rather than a divorce, despite 8 years of marriage? .

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Family Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

People marry each other for a lot of things, not always for love. So this hardly constitutes a fraud on her part. As such, your marriage cannot be annuled. You have to go through the divorce process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption