What to do if my uncle passed and I found out that there is an insurance policy listing me as the beneficiary?

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my uncle passed and I found out that there is an insurance policy listing me as the beneficiary?

He is married and his wife is trying to contest it without me knowing. The wife does not know that I am aware of the policy.

Asked on March 17, 2013 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  So now you do know and you need to do something about it and you need to do so as soon as you can.  If she is contesting the designation then the insurance company will probably "interplead" the funds in to court which is what you want.  You need to contact the insurance company and tell them that (a) you wish to have them send you the forms to obtain the proceeds or (b) that you wish for them to interpead the funds. A first then B.  The insurance company will not just hand it over - and if they did you would have a case against them.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption