If I’m separating as part of a divorce, am I allowed to move out of state during the 6-month “waiting” period?

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m separating as part of a divorce, am I allowed to move out of state during the 6-month “waiting” period?

My spouse and I lare filling out the final stipulation form to file for legal separation leading to divorce. We have no children. We own a condo together which we plan to refinance under his name. We are divorcing due to incompatibility, not adultery or anything of that nature.

Asked on March 27, 2012 under Family Law, Vermont


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can move out of the state freely. Just make sure that your spouse has your address so that he or she can serve you properly if anything happens. Also make sure that if anything requires a court appearance you will have adequate representation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption