How do I get my sister to put my name on the house that I inherited from my mother since it was given to me in her Will?

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my sister to put my name on the house that I inherited from my mother since it was given to me in her Will?

My mother has died over a year ago and I’m in the Will to have her house which is paid for. She named my sister as the executive but she won’t put my name on the house for me to have the deed. She makes me pay the taxes and now a loan that my mother took out is coming due on the house my sister is trying to make me pay it.

Asked on April 12, 2013 under Estate Planning, Ohio


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need the assistance of a probate lawyer to file a petition in probate court to probate the will, and have yourself appointed the executor. Your sister may be the named executor, but she has no power or authority to  issue a deed. The probate court needs to make an order distributing the property to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption