What can I do if my landlord promised to pay me for careing for his goats but hasn’t done so in 9 months?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my landlord promised to pay me for careing for his goats but hasn’t done so in 9 months?

I want to know how I can ask for the money he owes me for careing for his goats? They have

been under my care and I was supposed to be paid monthly.

Asked on June 18, 2017 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If there was an agreement, even an oral (unwritten one) that you would be paid for caring for his goats and he has not paid you, could sue him for breach of contract, or violating the agreement between you: if you did your part (cared for the goats), he is obligated to do his part (pay you). You could also sue (a second ground or reason to sue) based on "unjust enrichment": he may not get the benefit of your services without paying for them. You may sue for the agreed upon amount; or if no amount was specifically agreed to, for the fair market value of your services (what he'd have to pay to hire someone, typically, to do this). Suing in small claims court, as your own attorney to save legal costs, may be a good option. You can get instructions on how to do this from your county's small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption