If my grandmother was the sole owner of a property, what can we do to ensure that the house stays in the family?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my grandmother was the sole owner of a property, what can we do to ensure that the house stays in the family?

Nothing has been done with the house or the deed. Some are concerned that it will fall to the state since she had no Will.

Asked on November 8, 2013 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If your Grandmother died with out a Will then she is said to have died "intestate" and the intestacy laws in the state of Oklahoma will govern how the estate is distributed.  Now, some one needs to be appointed as the Personal Representative of the estate.  The only way that the house can be passed on is through an Executor's Deed.  But there is a whole lot of other stuff that has to be done too like notice to all those that would inherit as well as to potential creditors.  Seek legal help. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption