If my husband’s employer has withheld his paycheck for 6 months, what actions can be taken?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband’s employer has withheld his paycheck for 6 months, what actions can be taken?

Employer is a personal friend. Company is in GA and we live in AL. Employer would lie and say we sent your check and we would never receive it and then would say we don’t have the money should have it next week. Completely gave us the runaround. My husband stuck it out because it was a personal friend and we were then in the situation that we could. Now we are completely broke and need to be advised of what we can do about this to get his money. Now he has been laid off.

Asked on September 5, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your husband did the work, he must be paid--there is no exception. If the employer will not voluntarily pay, you can sue to obtain the money (and suing is the only way to get the money). You can sue for all unpaid wages and for other costs incurred because they were not paid, such as any bounced check fees; late charges because you couldn't pay debts on time; etc. If the amount is a few hundred to, say, around $1,500 or so, you may wish to file your case in small claims court, where you can represent yourself and don't need to hire an attorney; for larger amounts, even if you should file in small claims, you'll definitely want a lawyer to help you, to maximize the chance of winning and getting the money to which you and your husband are entitled.

Independent of that, if  you husband was laid off, he should file for unemployment compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption