How can I remove a lien on my house that debt belongs to my ex-wife?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I remove a lien on my house that debt belongs to my ex-wife?

I divorced with my ex-wife 9 years ago. Before we divorced, we had a credit card joint account, but closed after divorced. Until recently, I received a notice that a lien on my house and realized that she was sued by collection company. I also check credit report. I found out she re-open the joint credit card account and own them money. Can credit card company re-open a joint account without my consent and how to remove the lien that belongs to my ex-wife?

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The first thing that you should do is write the credit card company advising it that the lien on your home occurred after your divorce and you are not obligated for it. Keep a copy of the letter for future need and reference. If the credit card company does not remove the lien by a set time period, you should consult with an attorney who practices law in the area of consumer debt to discuss a possible slander of title action against the credit card company for the lien.

Another option is to see if your former wife will pay off the debt so that the lien can be voluntary removed by the credit card company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption