If my husband was in a car accident last year and now we are being sued, can we lose our primary home if they win?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband was in a car accident last year and now we are being sued, can we lose our primary home if they win?

I don’t have any assets just my home which is pay off.

Asked on September 5, 2015 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't lose your home, since even if the other side wins, gets a judgment against you which you do not pay, and then puts a lien on your home, the lien unlike a foreclosure from failing to pay property taxes or mortgage does not force the sale of the property rather, what happens is that if and when you sell the property e.g. if you sell it in order to retire to someplace less expensive than NY, the lien must be paid from the proceeds of the sale. So the lien can cost you some or all of your equity depending on how large it is if an when you sell, but doesn't force the sale or otherwise take the home. You can also file bankruptcy against the judgment--while bankruptcy has its own obvious and significant impacts e.g on credit, it does work well against judgment debts debts ariring from losing a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption