What the fastest way to get a tenant out?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What the fastest way to get a tenant out?

My tenant’s security deposit check bounced. She has promised to pay but hasn’t after 2 weeks. She has lied right from the beginning. I’ve served her a 3 day to pay or quit notice 3 days ago. Now this month’s rent is due today and I am pretty sure she is not going to be able to pay it. What’s the fastest way to get her out of the house?

Asked on September 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If she doesn't pay the rent when due, file a nonpayment eviction against her. While you will still have to go through the courts to evict her--landlords may only evict through the courts--you will avoid having to provide a potentially lengthy notice period first, as you would with many or most other grounds for eviction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption