What should I do if my husband is in Iraq he wants me to sign his name on the the divorce papers?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if my husband is in Iraq he wants me to sign his name on the the divorce papers?

He said that it will take longer for me to send them and for him to return them. We aren’t fighting for anything, no kids at all. If he is giving me permission to sign, should I do it?

Asked on March 2, 2011 under Family Law, Alaska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

No, you should not.  You were very wise to think twice about his request.  It can only come back to haunt you later on should he decide to turn on you (and its not like it isn't possible in any divorce, even the most amicable).  Tell him no and tell him to speak with an attorney about having a Power of Attorney appointed on his behalf to execute the paperwork.  That may take just as long now - sending it back and forth - but it may be useful later on for other documents.  Listen, if things really are amicable then what is the difference in waiting to do it right?  Really?  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption