If my husband and I are getting separated, what is the first thing we need to do?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and I are getting separated, what is the first thing we need to do?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Family Law, North Carolina


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is nothing that you need to do in New Jersey. New Jersey does not recognize legal separation. However, you may, personally, want to define how your finances are going to be handled, support issues and whether or not there will be any change, sale or transfer of marital assets or debts while you are separated.

Some people draft a separation agreement to outline how these issues will be handled. This is also helpful should your separation lead to a dissolution or divorce in your near future.

This information is based on New Jersey law and upon the limited facts you presented. My advice may be different if I find that the facts presented are different.  Additionally, this answer does not contain any confidential information nor does it create any attorney/client relationship. 

You should speak with an experienced attorney who is familiar with these areas of law.

Good luck.

Brad M. Micklin, Esq.

187 Washington Ave., Suite 2F

Nutley, NJ 07110


[email protected] 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption