Can I apply for Naturalization now

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I apply for Naturalization now

I’m married to US citizen for 3 years but I and my wife traveled outside the US
for period of 9 months, so can I apply for N-400 or it will be refused

Asked on November 17, 2017 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

if you are married to a US citizen, you can apply for citizenship once you have been a permanent resident for 3 years (does not matter how many years you've been married) AND you have to have been physically present in the US for at least 1/2 of that 3 years.  So, count from the date your green card was approved forward and make sure you have been in the country for a sufficient period of time before you apply.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption