What to do if my father died without a Will and I am his only child but his girlfriend wants to split his estate with me?

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my father died without a Will and I am his only child but his girlfriend wants to split his estate with me?

I think she should only get 25%. They were not married but has been together for 12 years.

Asked on April 3, 2015 under Estate Planning, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You don't have to give her anything: "girlfriend" is not a legally recognized relationship  in your state, and being someone's girlfriend for 12 years does not entitle one to any of his belongings or possessions upon his death. Rather, if there was no will and you are the only child, it should all go to you under intestate succession (the rules for who inherits what when someone dies without a will). She can keep her own belongings of course, and any jointly owed property (like if they owned their house jointly, or had a joint bank account) will go to her since she survived him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption