If I received a copy of the Trust from my mother’s estate but it is not signed document, what are my options to see the executed copy?

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I received a copy of the Trust from my mother’s estate but it is not signed document, what are my options to see the executed copy?

I sent a letter to the attorney and requested a signed copy of the trust, a list of assets and if any assets were sold. The letter I received back was filled with lawyer speak but did not include what I requested. He stated all beneficiaries received the same info, etc. My brother who was to handle admin of the trust became the successor trustee (may be one in the same as administrator) but he has kept us apprised of very little. For starters, he sold her home to a childhood friend of his and there is a large difference from what we were told last fall was the offering price and the listed sale price. What are my rights?

Asked on April 3, 2015 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You have lots of rights.  You have an absolute right to an executed copy of the Trust document.  You have an absolute right to an accounting.  And if your Brother is not administering the trust properly, then you have a right to have him remved if there is alleged a breach of his fiduciary duty.  Seek help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption