What are my rights if my employer accessed my personal browsing history on my home computer through synced google account?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my employer accessed my personal browsing history on my home computer through synced google account?

Is this a violation of privacy laws? And do I have any recourse?

Asked on September 3, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It is a violation if this was a personal computer if it was a business-provided computer, however, they had the right to access its browing history because it is their computer--it would belong to the employer. However, it is unclear what, as a practical matter, you can do about this 
1 The civil law system e.g. lawsuits provides compensation for actual losses or damages its goal is to compensate for what was taken from you or for quantifiable injuries, not to vindicate your rights. Unless you can show some quantifiable injury or loss from this, you would not be able to recover any monetary compensation.
2 It may be difficult to prove criminal intent--e.g. the employer may be able to convincingly state that this was some kind of an error or mistake--and without provable criminal intent, the criminal justice system which, in any event, prioritizes its computer/cyber-related resources for identity theft, commerical or bank account or credit card hacking, child pornography, etc., and so may not take the issue seriously may not be able to do anything.
3 The dept. of labor does not get involved in matters like this, generally.
Sadly, as practical matter, your recourse may to look for  a different job, with an employer who respects your rights and its boundaries.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption